Wednesday 18 July 2012

The Gun Cutter- A mock up

Evening all.  So after some scribbling of ideas and ruminating on the insanity of embarking on what looks to be a huge investment of time, not to mention plasticard... I knocked together a rough mock up out of an old carton and my trusty glue gun.  The point of this is to make sure that it hangs together as a whole and to help me visualise how I'm going to model it.  Judging from the size it looks like it will have to be a modular build so I can store and transport it easily, as the current dimensions are about 55cm long with a 35cm wingspan.

This is actually the second attempt- the first one was way too fat and bulky and looked stupid.  Hopefully this doesn't look (as) stupid, anyway it's pretty close in shape to how i visualise the Gun Cutter described in Dan Abnett's Eisenhorn novels with the hawkish profile and dagger like aspect.



The diagonal bit under the belly is an access ramp which might be intended to house a Chimera or Rhino inside the lower fuselage, that depends on my insanity levels when it comes to cutting the plasticard (I've ordered 8x A4 sheets of the stuff, and I've got a feeling that might not be enough)

The engines, of which there are four will be scavenged from some pod racer toys.  I've seen this done on some Thunderhawk scratch builds and they look spot on for a 40k ship.  I need lots of vertical jets to make the prospect of this huge lump operating in a gravity well at least fairly plausible, because let's face it..... in the grim darkness of the future, there is no aerodynamics.

Looking at the photos I'm questioning the proportions, maybe the fuselage could be longer and or skinnier.... hmmm.  I'll sleep on that, and start buying every imperial flyer bit I can find on ebay for the next few months.

No comments: