Sunday 15 July 2012

Building a 40k Gun Cutter- Planning

It's been a while since I've done a scratch building project, and after reading Dan Abnett's Eisenhorn Trilogy for the third time I realised that the inquisitors 'Gun Cutter' would make an interesting project. Having a look on the internet and taking a few notes from the books inspired a few points about the craft- it's a void capable craft that can enter planetary atmospheres, it can house 20ish troops and it has berths for about 5 crew. It has three autocannon turrets and it's about 80 metres long.... ok in 40k scale that would make it about 1 metre long but I think I'l stick to about 60-70cm for practicality. After some very rough sketching I have a shape, instead of following the model of the Thunderhawk gunship, I'm going to take my inspiration more from Battlefleet Gothic as this is more of a spacefaring system ship that can land on planets rather than a dedicated lander.


I've got plenty of plasticard on order, and will be making my own resin castings for the more repetitive detail (I'm too lazy to cut out the same pieces over and over again!)

I see this sort of vessel as being a transport for high ranking Imperial agents, dignitaries like navis nobilite and rogue traders, something along the lines of a yacht.  It should make a cool centre piece for my rogue trader themed army.

No comments: