Friday 12 February 2010

Black Reach Ork

Just a quick post today, having nearly got my Crimson Fists done I have decided to make a start on the Orks that came with Assault on Black Reach. I'm going for Evil Sunz as they have the potential for a nice paint scheme without being too gaudy, it also gives me the chance to make lots of crazy orkish vehicles :o)
Since Orks are a horde army, the criterium for painting is to be fairly simple. I'm using the citadel wash range to full effect, it saves time and they look good. The ork flesh is Goblin Green, two Thraka washes then highlight Goblin Green. The other base colours I used for the clothing, straps and boots are Codex Grey, Graveyard Earth and Vomit Brown. They all get the same treatment of a Badab Black wash followed by a highlight in the original colour. The teef and claws are Scorched Brown followed by Bleached Bone, and a minimal White highlight. The metal surfaces start as Boltgun metal, and get a wash of Badab and Devlan Mud, then highlighted with Chainmail. The red Bitz are simply metal areas daubed with Mechrite and Blood Red in a haphazard 'orkish' style.

The citadel washes are a godsend for painting large volumes of troops quickly, they have halved the amount of shading and highlighting I do.

2 comments:

Alexander Man said...

Really nice smooth colors and painting... I specially like the chipping job on the choppa...

Eggmarine said...

Thanks Alex, it's surprising what you can do with a minimal palette. The citadel washes are that good it feels like cheating!