Wednesday 17 December 2008

Munitorum transporter

I little while back I was musing over the type of vehicles in use by the Department Munitorum for getting troops and supplies around. Forgeworld have a grand line up of vehicles availible for non-combatant roles and it was while browsing these I noticed a gap in the vehicle pool. A soft skinned multi- purpose transporter a bit like the ww2 Opel Blitz or the United States Mack truck would fill this gap, while the Imperial Guard would save their precious Chimeras and super heavy transports for the front line. Such a vehicle would be very basic, dependable and get stuff from A to B without fuss.

After looking around on thee internet I came up with this rough sketch and went down to the local model shop to procure some styrene section and sheet....

The transporter (I'm yet to think of a name for it) will be unarmed but will have the option to mount a heavy stubber in the turret above the cab. I thought a transport capacity of 20 with armour values of 10/9/9 would do the trick. I need to have a play with the Vehicle Design Rules soonish. With a transport capacity of 20, three vehicles should be able to manage a (maxed) IG platoon with a support squad which seems a fairly realistic. Imagine three of these in convoy taking urgently needed reinforcements to the front.

I have so far fabricated three chassis, so now for the hard part of doing the cabs and body work. I was stumped over what to do about wheels for a while until it struck me that LEGO makes nice chunky 40kesque truck wheels, twelve of which I procured from these friendly people for a few quid.

Well here's the work in progress, I'll hopefully have something looking truck like soon.


No comments: